Chefs are doing amazing things with beer these days. In Bend, Oregon we’re never in short supply of local, craft brews. (More than 20 breweries in Bend and counting!) After a recent trip to Windflower Farm, Chef Kevin Linde looked at his haul of Chinese Broccoli and then at our tap of 10 Barrel Brewing’s Sinistor Black Ale and thought, “broccoli and beer cheese soup?” Oh yes.
This simple recipe takes a traditional soup and turns it into a uniquely seasonal and local dish. Chinese Broccoli, also known as Kai-Lan, is gorgeous, full of flavor, and as Windflower Farm owner Gigi Meyer calls it “a wonder vegetable.” High in potassium, Vitamin A and Vitamin C, you can forgive yourself for that pint (or two) of10 Barrel Brewing Sinistor Black Ale you’ll be drinking along with your bowl of broccoli-cheesy goodness.
Here’s why Kai-Lan is so amazing:
And here’s why this soup is so delicious. Good things come in 3’s.
Chef Linde’s Chinese Broccoli, Beer and Cheese Soup
2 lbs Windflower Farms Chinese Broccoli, leaves and stems, washed
1 yellow onion, diced
8 oz unsalted butter
24 oz 10 Barrel Brewing Sinistor Black Ale
2 Tbs Worcestershire sauce
4 cups chicken stock
1 cup Gruyere cheese, grated
1 cup Fontina cheese, grated
Kosher salt to taste
Black pepper to taste
Brioche toast or croutons
1. Turn pot to medium heat. Add butter and yellow onion.
2. Add pinch of kosher salt and cook onions until translucent but not browned.
3. Chop Chinese Broccoli into ½-inch pieces.
4. Add chopped broccoli to onions and sweat for 5 minutes until color brightens.
5. Add beer and bring to a boil. Return to a bubbling simmer.
6. Add another pinch of salt and Worcestershire sauce, and reduce for 5 minutes, gently. Try not to brown broccoli.
7. Add chicken stock and bring to a boil. Then reduce to simmer.
8. Add grated cheeses and let melt.
9. Puree in batches in a blender or Vita Mix. Be careful because the liquid is hot and will expand!
Serve with fresh cracked black pepper, brioche crouton, grated cheese, and more Beer!
Make a reservation to dine with us! Visit Chanterelle or Cascada to taste more of Chef Linde’s seasonal dishes while enjoying stunning views of the Cascade Mountains and our golf courses.
Follow along on social media as we look behind the scenes with Chef Kevin Linde sharing recipes, how-to’s and more: #cookwithkevin